Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Friday 8 April 2016

8th April

In the 9 days since my last post visits to the patch have been plentiful, and I've managed to add 3 year ticks to my list, bringing me up to 92. Migrant movement is still yet to get into top gear, but things are clearly arriving earlier than 2015, and I remain hopeful of finding a Wheatear-esque addition to the year list before heading off to Spain on Monday.

At this time of year I wasn't really expecting a duck to be a tick, but on the 31st a pair of Gadwall were present on Mill Pond for just a couple of hours in the afternoon, not roosting. The following day 4 Teal were a surprise April bird - numbers ever so low throughout March. Clearly ducks had been on the move locally during these days - Wigeon and Pintail had been seen at the Wey water meadows between Shalford and Burpham. On the 4th there were 3 Gadwall on Mill Pond early in the morning, 2 drakes and a female, and I can't quite work out why I had no winter records given the number I had in 2015. I got some woeful pictures - don't even worth putting on here!

That morning of the 4th was supposed a pre-work summer migrant hunt, but there was more of a wintry tone to the cast of birds, the Gadwalls supported by a female Peregrine perched on a horse jump at Slade's Farm (4th year record) and a Brambling still on the Ridge. What will surely be the last Redwings of this winter were seen the day before, but by early evening on the 4th, with the sun out, Warblers were singing what seemed like everywhere, at least 15 Chiffchaffs and couples each of Blackcaps and Willow Warblers around.

Greylag Geese on the Ridge
On the 5th I bagged my first House Martins of the year, with individuals N over the Ridge at 18:00 and NNE over Junction Field at 18:20 respectively, but the 7th was quieter in terms of movement. A single Meadow Pipit, 4 Brambling, a rather high count of 11 Red-legged Partridges, the first Mallard ducklings of the year and the finding of a Little Owl nest were the highlights. I also had the unusual sight of a pair of Greylag Geese feeding on the Ridge, now trimmed and ready to be ploughed.

Today was only a flying visit, but the weather managed to help me with another year tick. A quick trip up the Ridge found 2 Brambling, a male and female still hanging around, but nothing else. Then, a light shower began, and a few minutes later the sound of a Sand Martin came from above my head. The bird was moving north, and shortly after I heard a couple of House Martins calling in the clouds, though I couldn't see them. Sand Martins aren't easy here - only 4 records in 2015. With 9 days in Spain coming up it'd be nice to get a couple more year ticks before I go. But, I'll be honest, the idea of chasing after Spanish Imperial Eagles, Marbled Ducks, Black Vultures and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse is a little more exciting.