Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Thursday 21 January 2016

21st January

Thorncombe Street

For the first time this year, I was able to give pretty much my whole patch a good visit, or at least the key areas. With temperatures plummeting below zero the last few days I've managed to quickly check Mill Pond a few times, one of the only water bodies in the area that doesn't fully freeze. This brings in big numbers of wildfowl, and yesterday (20th) I obtained a patch record count of Teal, 85 at least.

This morning was noticeably milder, and I was at Mill Pond not long after dawn. The air was filled with the bell-like incessancy of Teal. It was clear big numbers were present again, with only the southern end unfrozen, and my first scope count revealed over 100. Another check, and, remarkably, I had 116. A huge number for a small body of water! Mill Pond is a roost site for many ducks, and it seems the cold snap has forced big numbers in from elsewhere, perhaps the flood meadows of the Wey. 12 Shoveler, and at least 40 Mandarin were also present.

On the drive to Rowe Barn Farm an Egyptian Goose was prominent for being perched high in a cedar tree, and once walking up to the Ridge I quickly found myself among big numbers of Finches and Buntings. Most were Reed Buntings (30+), but to my surprise there were at least 25 Bramblings, in flocks of around 12 on each side of the path. They were noisy, and mobile, and easily the highest count I've had up there.

Looking over Upper Bonhurst from Junction Fields
Furze Field was somewhat quiet, with the most notable records coming from the outside, including a heard only Red-legged Partridge and a noisy Raven cronking west above the trees. At Junction Fields at least 40 Fieldfares were with many more Redwings, and I took in the view as the sky began to brighten, Common Gulls drifting over as they had been throughout the morning.

Upper Bonhurst was also fairly bird-less, until my attention was drawn to a calling Yellowhammer in the orchard. Uncommon winter visitors, with less than 10 records last year, I was pleased to add this beautiful species to my year list. I couldn't locate it, but once I'd checked Birtley House Pond and was walking back 2 more called above my head. I then heard another, and managed to get on a gorgeous male sitting in a willow. Another, or one of the previous birds, called overhead as I walked back up Junction Fields.

It was then onto Scotsland Farm/Great Brook, with big numbers of birds present. 10+ each of Treecreeper and Nutchatch were seen, and 40+ Siskins included 2 singing males. The best bird was a calling Marsh Tit, sadly one that didn't show, though it was probably pipped to the best animal title, that going to a Stoat running through the undergrowth. This remnant of a female Pheasant was also found on the woodland floor.
Former female Pheasant (part of)