Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Monday 22 February 2016

22nd February

Thorncombe Street

An impromptu, post-work trip today turned out to be a fine flying visit, with an incredible hour long purple patch producing no less than 3 year ticks.

I'd pretty much given up hope of seeing a Little Egret this winter - I only had 4 records in 2015 (when I was visiting more often), and there seem to be fewer around the Wey and Tillingbourne valleys at the moment too. However, I always cast a glance to Eastwaters Pond, opposite Nurscombe Farm, on the drive through, as 2 of my previous sightings have come there. What a welcome surprise when, today, the snow white shape of a Little Egret caught my eye on the east side of the water. Having pulled over and got out, the bird seemed fairly content, and I enjoyed close-range views. Yes, they are now fairly regular in Surrey, but it's a fine bird for my bit!

A large flock of Common Gulls was situated opposite Thorncombe Park and, buoyed by my recent Iceland and Mediterranean yielding gull session with Dave Harris up at Walton Reservoirs last week, I decided to pull over again and have a scan. Nothing unusual - 2 Black-heads including a full summer plumage adult - though Red Kites, Buzzards and a Raven were all in the sky above.

A superb photo of a Buzzard over the Ridge taken on Friday (DC)
Still feeling pleased with the Egret, I was buoyed furthermore by the calls of a Little Owl as I climbed up to the Ridge. This species has eluded me so far in 2016 despite 1, potentially even 2, pairs breeding last year. I've known Rooks to mimic this species so I waited patiently for the bird to call again and again before I was sure. Sadly, despite a brief search, I couldn't locate the Owl.

Once on the Ridge it was clear the Finch/Bunting flock had swollen in size. At least 100 birds were present, predominately Reed Buntings and Chaffinches, but I managed to get in my highest count of the year for both Yellowhammer (11+) and Brambling (13+). Males of the latter species all had blueberry balaclavas adorning their plumage.

I soaked up the blue and grey checkered sky, very pleased with my haul. Things couldn't get better, surely, but much to my surprise the distinctive call of a Crossbill chipped above my head. I picked up the individual, flying fairly high E, and it disappeared over Furze Field. I'm not too sure where it could have been coming from, perhaps Winkworth (indeed Matt Phelps had a record of 9 in January), but this nomadic species is certainly hard to get here. Irregular in appearance, and almost always flying over, it was another fine addition to the day.

3 year ticks on a nondescript February afternoon is good going - I'll do well to get 3 more ticks in the next month!

Godalming area

Not too much elsewhere, since my last post, though Great Grey Shrikes were at Thursley Common and Blackdown on the 19th, the latter site enjoying a regular flock of Crossbills recently too. Little Egrets were present at Unstead Sewage Farm and Shalford water meadows on various days.

Other sightings from Thorncombe Street include a Peregrine on the 20th (seen by myself) and Red-legged Partridges, 1 Raven and a Yellowhammer on the 19th, reported by Dave Carlsson. Dave took the fantastic photo of the Buzzard, above.