Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Saturday 29 December 2018

Jingull bells

 I spent a few days over Christmas down at my parents in West Sussex, near Climping. The seas were calm, so my attention focused on gulls. Large species were few and far between so there was, unfortunately, slim pickings. However, I never cease to be amazed by the number of Mediterranean Gulls in this part of the world. This was easily the commonest gull species, outnumbering Black-headed Gulls by about five to one.


Mediterranean Gulls, Felpham.


Below is a photographic look at some of the birds I encountered on the beach over the holiday period, mainly as a way for me to store photos, but they may be of interest to others.


Mediterranean Gull




1st-winter Mediterranean Gull, Felpham.



A slightly less advanced, 1st-winter Mediterranean Gull, Felpham.


Adult Mediterranean Gull, Felpham.
This species is a favourite of mine, elegant and always a pleasure to see. At
least 150 were along the coast from Elmer to Bognor from dawn, feeding
in the shallows, before roosting offshore later in the day.
Abundant they may be here, but I've still to have one over the patch!


Black-headed Gull





Black-headed Gulls, Felpham.


Common Gull


Common Gull, Felpham.

Great Black-backed Gull



Great Black-backed Gulls, Felpham. 

No comments: