Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Wednesday 25 December 2019

Who said midwinter was quiet?

It’s been a busy week or so since my last post. Local birding always seems to be productive during midwinter and some quality birds have been unearthed in south-west Surrey of late, meaning I’ve been all over the place in the past few days. As well as this, I managed to add a new bird to my Western Palearctic list.

Black-throated Thrush, Whipsnade Zoo, 19 December 2019.

On 17th, the date of my last post, great news came via the at the death arrival of a Great Grey Shrike to Thursley Common. It looked like being another blank winter – and perhaps the end of an area for the species in this part of the world – so I was not alone in being delighted when news broke.

I was on the common early doors the following day, in glorious conditions. A Water Rail squealed from Pudmore, several Dartford Warblers chased one another around in the sun – it was as perfect as this place can get in winter. A hike up a high tumulus delivered the target, as I glimpsed the Great Grey Shrike in flight a couple of times.

Thursley Common, 18 December 2019.

The bird proved hard to see throughout the rest of the day and on 19th, before seemingly disappearing. As it happened, Shaun P relocated presumably the same individual at Frensham Common from 20th to 21st – it seems like this bird will be particularly mobile this winter.

Later in the day on 18th Abel and I checked some local spots, the best bird being a Marsh Tit on his Loseley and Binscombe patch.


Black-throated Thrush, Whipsnade Zoo, 19 December 2019.

On 19th, David, Sam and I headed to Bedfordshire for the gaudy male Black-throated Thrush that was found at Whipsnade Zoo mid-month. It was the ideal twitch: free entry to the zoo, on the bird not long after arrival, cracking views and good company. It’s a seriously impressive beast and I recommend visiting.

We had superb views as it feasted on berries and worms, in loose association with Redwings and Blackbirds. I’m not exactly deeply passionate about national vagrants but I really do have a thing for Siberian/Asian thrushes – whether on a remote Shetland isle or on patch, I’m not sure one could propose a rare I’d rather find than one of those thrushes.





Black-throated Thrush, Whipsnade Zoo, 19 December 2019.

While at the zoo, a Kestrel and some Siskins were logged. Better came on the journey to and from Bedfordshire though, with David and I scoring Peregrine over the Hog’s Back and a Lapwing flock near London Colney.

Heavy rainfall over the last week or so turned the water meadows from Godalming to Unstead into veritable lakes – I’ve not seen them that high since the famous 2013/14 floods. Anyway, birds have moved in and so I have had a few casual looks. Nothing major, save a goose increase, some displaced Snipe (at Unstead Water Meadows) and Lapwings and a high count of six Little Egrets.



Black-headed and Common Gulls on Unstead Water Meadows, 22 December 2019.

Unstead SF has been treated to some rain too (much needed), but the best birds continue to be passerines at this ever-drying site. A Firecrest on 21st was nice, but better came on 23rd, when Abel and I relocated the Siberian Chiffchaff. In glorious conditions we had at least seven collybita, including a couple bursting into song! I guess the tristis could winter on site, but will presumably be best sought on mild and bright days …

On 22nd, seeking better views of the shrike, I walked Frensham Common. Sadly I dipped (and there’s been no news since), but I did log a singing Marsh Tit, two Egyptian Geese and six Dartford Warblers.

Reed Bunting, Unstead SF, 23 December 2019.

Red Kite, Unstead SF, 23 December 2019.

Patch has been badly neglected this month, but a couple of enjoyable visits recently have reminded me why I love it so much. On 23rd, Abel and I visited Bonhurst Farm and, in little of 20 minutes, scored Sparrowhawk, 100+ Redwings and Fieldfares and a most dapper Grey Wagtail (which seems to be wintering on the farm and even burst into song).

A visit to Winkworth Arboretum the following day was really uplifting, with the sun out and no fewer than five species in song, including this Coal Tit you can listen to here. A Woodcock flushed from the disabled car park was my first at the arboretum since 1 January 2017. Egyptian Goose, two Lesser Redpolls, Marsh Tit and a Reed Bunting were other highlights.


Grey Wagtail, Bonhurst Farm, 23 December 2019.

Sparrowhawk, Bonhurst Farm, 23 December 2019.


Later in the day, Sam messaged with the quite amazing news he’d located two Water Pipits on the Lammas Lands at Godalming. This will probably constitute its own post in time, but on the face of it it could be a huge discovery – could it be a regular wintering site for a species long associated with the Wey Valley?

Of course, a great autumn for the species combined with the flooding could be a more probable explanation, though these water meadows are desperately under watched. I visited on a glorious Christmas morning and, to my delight, had at least three Water Pipits in classic short grass/wet channel and pool habitat.

Water Pipit sonogram.

Lammas Lands.


They were mobile (only seen in flight, doing the classic Water Pipit flush up high before dropping down not far away), but also vocal, thus I managed sound recordings but failed to get any images. You can listen to a sound recording here.

Stonechat, Lammas Lands, 25 December 2019.

Raven, Lammas Lands, 25 December 2019.


Views were OK – the contrasty pale underparts and long tail stood out. In a fun session, I also logged Raven, Reed Bunting, a pair of Stonechats, four Snipe and two Teal.

No comments: