Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Saturday 18 May 2024

Corsica

I've just come back from a short break in Corsica. This beautiful island has long been on my radar, from a scenic, cultural and avian point of view. I spent barely four days there but the birding was easy, and my four targets – Corsican Nuthatch, Corsican Finch, Marmora's Warbler and California Quail – were all seen with minimal effort. Furthermore, in every case, I enjoyed multiple encounters and good views.

 Corsican Finch.

Birders visit the island for the legendary Corsican Nuthatch, which is endemic, and found only in higher altitude pine forests. I had good views of three separate pairs including one taking food in and out of a nest.



Corsican Nuthatch.

Corsican Finch, a near-endemic also found on neighbouring Sardinia, was far commoner than expected and was even a garden bird in our apartment up in the mountains near Vivario!

Corsican Finch.

I expected California Quail to be the trickiest – this Category C special has a long- and well-established population along the island's east coast but is tricky, though a relatively new stakeout at Riva Bella has been more reliable. This is where I scored four birds in the good company of some Swedish birders.

California Quail.

Finally, Marmora's Warbler was seen well, with particularly good views of a singing males at Belvédère de Pasciolo and Pietroso.

I also wanted upgrade views of Moltoni's Warbler, which I've only seen poorly before in Mallorca. This was achieved with ease – the species is common at all elevations and, like Corsican Finch, also made it onto the garden list.

Moltoni's Warbler.

Otherwise it was a very laid-back trip with plenty of touristy and culinary bits undertaken, as well as a big hike up to the 1,850m Punta Bocca dell'Oro peak. 

Still, there a fine supporting cast of birds were casually observed, from Mediterranean classics like Roller, Scopoli's and Yelkouan Shearwaters and Eurasian Scops Owl, to montane species such as Blue Rock Thrush, Alpine Chough and Golden Eagle, plus localised regional specials including Italian Sparrow and Mediterranean Flycatcher.



Cirl Bunting, Alpine Chough and Italian Sparrow.

In all, a highly recommended destination. I scraped 100 species in all – not bad given the casual nature of the visit. I can see myself returning here one day … 

No comments: