Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Sunday 17 March 2024

Pause button please

I often find myself wishing I could press pause in March. It's such an uplifting time of year for naturalists, especially if you're a patch birder – any time outdoors is likely to yield one or two signs of spring, be it subtle or great. The calm before the April 'spring proper' storm, perhaps ... That's how it's felt during this middle week of this month; not especially rare but, for the most part, serenely enjoyable. 

Mealy Redpoll.

Monday 11th

Following a few days of easterlies that underwhelmed a little bit locally, this morning was murky, dull and drizzly, feeling promising thus. I headed to Tuesley first and was rewarded with the first shorebird of the season – a winter plumage Dunlin, which was happily feeding in the south-east corner.







Dunlin.

2023 was exceptional for Dunlin in south-west Surrey, with a mad 10 records. They're always to be appreciated in the local area so I soaked in views before leaving it in peace. It was otherwise quiet– as it has been for much of the year so far at Tuesley.

I headed on to Frensham Great Pond, where I felt like I might find another prize. It wasn't to be, though, and I settled for six Pochard, the Cetti's Warbler, a Firecrest by the outlet stream and two Chiffchaffs (one of which was in song).

I had a look at Waverley Abbey before heading home. Kev D has been putting in commendable effort at this poorly-watched site and I suspect he'll find something decent soon – it usually feels 'birdy' when I visit. The best today was a Wigeon pair on the flooded marsh, which of course is always a good south-west Surrey bird. Four Gadwall, a Lesser Black-backed Gull and decent numbers of Redwings were also noted.


Wigeon and Egyptian Geese.

As I got stuck into work, it became clear that today was the first properly lively day of spring passage in the South-East. I was itching to get back in the field as a result, but held off until early afternoon when I headed up to Eashing Fields. Minutes after my arrival, I picked up two duck flying skittishly north – and was soon astonished to see it was a pair of Pintail!

The birds zoomed north-west, before the drake began to whiffle down. Seconds after I saw them, they were lost. Sadly I had no time for a photo – but what a mental record! Pintail is super scarce in south-west Surrey (i.e. zero records in 2023), so to get two over such a site and in the middle of the day was nuts. That said, there was stacks of wildfowl moving last night and this morning, and it's a classic time for Pintail locally, so it made some sense. 

Still, what a way to hit 100 species for my Eashing Fields list (the site list now stands at 101). A remarkable number for such a small, unassuming site. There is only one previous Eashing area record of Pintail –  pair shot on the Wey near Eashing Mill in 1838!

The rest of my half-hour watch was fairly lively, with a flock of 60 Starlings east and plenty of Redwings around, either moving overhead or subsinging in the hedges. A male Stonechat sang from The Meadow, too.

Stonechat.

Despite not having much time, I did undertake a flying check of the Wey to see if the Pintail had dropped in to one of the pools around the village. Alas, they hadn't, with two Red-legged Partridges and further good numbers of Redwings the best I managed. It's safe to say the spring passage ribbon was snipped today!

Greenways Farm.

Tuesday 12th

Following yesterday's liveliness, I stuck my recorder out after dark. It was fairly quiet, bar a few Redwings, but a Coot over at 01:44 was cool – amazingly, this is the first documented record in the Eashing area, bringing the recording area list to 131 and garden list to 79.

The day was, for the most part, rainy and miserable, but by the time I finished work it was OK. I popped up to Eashing Fields, where more of Top Field had been ploughed. Nine Pied Wagtails were picking away at the newly bare earth – a good sign ahead of the imminent alba season.

Eashing Fields.

Thrushes were again evident and featured 24 Fieldfares east (to roost, I guess?) and 150 or so Redwings along Eashing Lane. I expect there'll be a big thrush night soon … other bits included an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull upriver, two Greylag Geese north and Red-legged Partridge, Stonechat and Skylark in song. 


Redwing and Red-legged Partridge.

Wednesday 13th

It was 11°C at Shackleford this morning, but the temperature and south-westerly airflow failed to combat a feeling of late winter, such were the dull grey skies, fresh breeze and occasional light spit. The avian cast offered few signs of spring, too, with vis-migging Cormorants (seven), Starlings (80) and Lesser Black-backed Gulls (two) the best on offer.

Otherwise it was quiet, as it has been here all winter. Two pairs of Stonechats were around, plenty of Skylarks were singing, a fair number of Fieldfares were still present, a Little Grebe pair were on the farm pond and 150 or so Herring Gulls swirled in from their south London/north Surrey roosts to feed on the fields.

Shackleford.

I popped up to Eashing Fields for a half-hour vis-mig at lunch, with the skies fairly lively. The first Meadow Pipit passage of the season was detected, with around 30 birds made up of small groups powering north in the blustery conditions. Parties of 18 and 24 Fieldfares flew north too, along with three Lesser Black-backed Gulls and 60 Starlings. On the deck, four Red-legged Partridges was my highest count for the site.

Thursday 14th

It was brighter this morning and mild again, with a southerly breeze tempting promise. I headed to Thursley Common with Dave and, despite a pleasant two hours and three-quarters on site, it was very similar to my visit on Friday (minus the rare finches) – down to the exact same number of species (47).

That said, my second-ever Thursley Mute Swan at Hammer Pond was good value. I expect the status of this species will change now this waterbody been topped up, likely switching from less than annual to semi-regular. Six Tufted Duck at Pudmore/Pylon Pool were further signs of waterbird movement.



Mute Swan and Tufted Duck.

Otherwise, steady would be a generous way to describe things. Skylark numbers seemed to have risen a little, but Woodlark activity was muted – presumably many are already sitting, though we saw one bird gathering nest material on Shrike Hill.

Woodlark.

The Lesser Redpoll flock that yielded last week's Mealy wasn't to be found, with very few finches in general on site, though a Greenfinch over Pudmore was very much of note for the Thursley connoisseur. Other bits included two each of Firecrest, Chiffchaff and Grey Wagtail.



Jay, Stonechat and Wren.

Having finished up, we grabbed a coffee and headed to the Devil's Punch Bowl for a short watch from the car park. I've always thought Goshawk must be possible here but it never seems to be the case, and we actually saw zero raptors during our vigil. However, a pair of Marsh Tits (with the male in song) and two Ravens south were good value.

Devil's Punch Bowl.

Later in the morning, while working, my first Brimstone of the year flew past the window and a Chiffchaff was in song towards the river.

Friday 15th

No birding.

Saturday 16th

A beautiful, early spring morning, with the bright blue skies and gradual warming of temperature the epitome of this fine time of year. I opted for a long walk around south-west Surrey's lesser visited commons, beginning at Milford and Witley Commons. Here, I amassed no fewer than 42 species – a personal best and not at all bad given the date.

Top of the pile was a Mealy Redpoll – yes, another one! – in with a small flock of Lesser Redpolls at the southern end of Witley Common. The bird, a chunky male, was hard to pin down and it took me a while to eventual nail it. A fine beast, though.







Mealy Redpoll.

It's been a good winter for Mealies in England and an exceptional one locally, with this the seventh (!) south-west Surrey record of 2024 and eighth of the 2023-24 winter. The below graph of records during the last two decades shows how unusual this is.

A calling Brambling over while I was watching the Mealy was notable, too, as it's been a poor winter for this beech-loving finch. In fact, this was only my third of 2023 … similarly stand-out was a singing Marsh Tit, only my second at Milford and Witley, where records suggest it is a scarce, sporadic visitor.

Two migration themes of this morning stood out: a constant, light northerly passage of Woodpigeons and a fall of Chiffchaffs. I counted 10 singing Chiffs, which are always worth appreciating at this time of year, before they become the most 'everyday' of our summer migrants …

Other bits included two male Woodlarks, a Stonechat pair, a single Dartford Warbler, five Bullfinches and my first Egyptian Goose for the site!

Woodlark.

From Milford and Witley I walked on to Rodborough Common, where things were quieter, though four more singing Chiffchaffs were counted. 

Rodborough Common.

I continued to Bagmoor and Guinea Commons. It was livelier here, with a singing Woodlark very much of note – few heathland species are found at the Bagmoor/Guinea/Royal complex these days. Marsh Tit and Firecrest were also in song, as well as a further four Chiffchaffs

Bagmoor Common.

An early Small Tortoiseshell on the wing (and a Brimstone) helped conclude a lovely walk and, by the time I reached Elstead, I was ready for a coffee.

Sunday 17th

In stark contrast to yesterday morning, today was miserable and wet. I teamed up with Dave for a later than usual start and visit to Frensham Great Pond. 

Initially, it wasn't especially inspiring, but after 20 minutes or so a group of Sand Martins appeared over the water – nine in total. The first hirundine of the year is a landmark moment in any patch year and it comes on the exact same date as my first Sand Martins in south-west Surrey in 2023 …

Sand Martins.

A flock of nine Crossbills over the west end was notable, too, being my largest local gathering since November – it's been a below average winter for this species. Two Little Egrets were around but there were no Pochard – my first blank visit here since 20 September – despite decent numbers (c 50) of Tufted Duck.

No comments: