Godalming area birds

Godalming area birds

Pages

Monday 31 December 2018

Kent double-date

With a welcome break over the holiday period I’ve managed to get some enjoyable winter sessions in. It wasn’t just throwing bread at gulls in Sussex though; I’ve also thrown bread at gulls in Kent … and done some proper birding too! I really like the north Kent coast and a big winter day there appealed, with some nice targets and opportunity to explore mixed together, so on 29th I headed up for dawn. In total I managed 95 species which I was really pleased with, particularly given they included some tidy bits including Ring-necked Duck, Rough-legged Buzzard and Lapland Bunting.


Elmley, 29/12/2019.


I started at Elmley at sunrise, though there wasn’t exactly much of that on a particularly gloomy day. However, evocative post-roost streams of wildfowl soon illuminated proceedings, along with Marsh Harriers and hundreds of Lapwings, and smaller numbers of Black-tailed Godwits and Golden Plovers. The safari-esque drive-through to the car park is always a treat here. Next up was Capel Fleet, where a Rough-legged Buzzard had been reported the previous day. I spotted a/the pale Common Buzzard at mighty range but little else, save five Corn Buntings and a female Stonechat.


Wigeon, Elmley, 29/12/2019.


It was then on to Swale NNR, passing big flocks of roadside thrushes, scenes currently absent from patch. Here, a field stalking egret turned out to be Little – we’re almost getting to the point where one in such habitat is expected to be Cattle. On the reserve a large portion (156) of the wintering flock of Eurasian White-fronted Geese were showing fairly well in a crop field next to the path. Further back were three other Goose species, including my first Kentish Pink-footed.


Little Egret, Sayes Court, 29/12/2019.

Eurasian White-fronted Geese, Swale NNR, 29/12/2019.


The Capel Fleet Rough-legged was reported again so we headed back, only to find an empty watchpoint and the pale Common Buzzard showing a little better … as I understand it, the RLB sighting was later withdrawn. Three Snipe and a Grey Wagtail flushed from a ditch here were the only ones of the day. With a Rough-legged Buzzard currently being watched at nearby Chetney Marshes we dashed there, and upon arrival a band of very helpful birders quickly got me on the distant individual. Only my second British Rough-legged, though the views weren’t fab …


Rough-legged Buzzard, Chetney Marshes, 29/12/2019.


Continuing west I checked various marshes and stretches of mudflats, picking up several common waders, before the urban setting of Chatham was punched into the sat-nav. A Black-throated Diver had taken up residence in the marina here but I dipped, though was cheered up by a Shag. An English-ringed Black-headed Gull was also knocking about.


Shag, Chatham Marina, 29/12/2019.


The penultimate site was the Hoo Peninsula. I’ve never really warmed to Cliffe Pools, despite recent sun infused memories of my first Marsh Sandpiper there, and I have to say the it was pretty bleak this particular day. That said, I managed some good day ticks: three grebes (Black-necked, Red-necked and Slavonian), seven Bewick’s Swan, Goldeneye and Yellow-legged Gull. Most of the afternoon was then spent exploring Grain and the northeast section of Hoo. This area is much vaunted by Sam J as an under watched one with bags of potential and it was on my autumn radar, though I never found time to visit.

It’s a wild and somewhat remote area – I can think of few places that evoke such a similar feeling in the southeast. A ringtail Hen Harrier had welcomed us in near Cooling but it was the seawall along the Grain Coastal Park car park that delivered the bird of the day: Lapland Bunting. I flushed it and two Skylarks inadvertently and it called several times as it flew northwest, before dropping down. I couldn’t re-find it. A Barn Owl quartered nearby.


Ring-necked Duck, New Hythe, 29/12/2019.


I only self-found Lapland Bunting for the first time in Lewis in October, so this was more than satisfactory.  I later learnt this species used to winter here in numbers, but they are rare now. With the light already fading it was a race to New Hythe, where a drake Ring-necked Duck had pitched up on one of the fishing lakes near the station. I eventually found him (asleep) but the views were naff, and to be honest I was happier with the late additions of Long-tailed Tit, Treecreeper, Jay, Siskin and Greenfinch to the day list.

So, a top day out, and if one factored in a decent inland site and watched the sea for a bit I imagine 100 would be doable. Things I missed out on included Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Red-throated Diver and Sanderling. A lot of racing around and walking had taken place, so the following day called for something far more relaxed …


Caspian Gull, Dungeness, 30/12/2018.


With several reduced loaves on the back seat it was a late start at Dungeness, where I had a couple of hours to spend with the gulls. There were a lot more around than I’d expected, and it didn’t take long for a first-winter and fourth-winter Caspian Gulls to appear. The latter flew off and wasn’t seen again, but the former performed well, dominating dibs on the bread and making lots of noise.


Caspian Gull, Dungeness, 30/12/2018.


The bird was a bit of a beast really and stood out like a sore thumb, with a whacking great bill and extensive tail band, as well as lovely cold grey scapulars and neck shawl. It seems remarkable this species was considered a type of European Herring Gull until recently …



Caspian Gull, Dungeness, 30/12/2018.


The light wasn’t on my side at all and the photos aren’t the best, but forgive an image overkill of a beautiful gull. There wasn’t so much time for birding after this so I skipped the reserve, though had any Smew been in this bypass would have been tested big time. Incredibly, none have been recorded this winter, at what’s a nationally significant site. I really don’t like these increasingly mild winters.



Caspian Gull, Dungeness, 30/12/2018.


Aside from Kent and the Sussex gulls there’s little else to report, though I made the annual pilgrimage to the Arun Valley Bewick’s Swans on 27th. I saw four, distantly from Burpham church, though pleasingly Gareth J had eight today. That’s pretty much it for the holidays really, a feast of birds and some enjoyable trips, leaving me ready to get on the 2019 patch grind.


Bewick's Swans, Burpham (Sussex), 27/12/2018.


The forecasts, and extremely quiet day there today, suggest it’s going to be a humdrum start to the year Thorncombe Street. However, there’s only one thing for it, and in the words of Rihanna: work, work, work.

No comments: